Transporters are regularly required to move dogs to foster home and the kennels we use in the Worcester and Stafford areas. Additionally, we have the need to move senior staffies from kennels to the vets and back – though this is only required at the Worcester kennels. If you are a driver and happy to volunteer for this important role, please complete our Online Volunteer Form.
The role covers/requires:
Role Summary –
To help transport our dogs to our kennels, to foster homes or to
Key Activities –
(1) To help transport dogs from…
- pounds or home hand-ins to kennels
- from kennels to vets (Worcester area ONLY)
- from kennels to foster carers
- occasionally from foster carers to vets.
(2) If transporting to vets – to be present during any veterinary
examination and make a note of required treatment and
collect the necessary medicines.
(3) Transport runs can cover many miles but you will not be
expected to cover the whole distance just parts of the run and
meet up with other transporters on route to transfer to the dog
to the next transporters car.
Time commitments – Variable dependent on as and when transport is needed and on distance you are willing to travel.
Experience/Skills/Knowledge/Personal Qualities –
- Must have a vehicle, driving licence and appropriate insurance
- Must possess a means of securing the dog during transport which must be either a dog grill in car, or a crate – a car harness can only be used if there is another adulttravelling with you with you to sit alongside the dog in case they get distressed and try to climb out of harness.
- Experience with handling dogs – some lifting is requred
- Ability to follow correct procedures as instructed to ensureyour own safety and that of the dogs.
- Communication skills.
Details of Training Provided – Support and guidance from Transport Co-ordinator Committee member. Fuel costs can be covered if required.